While most owners of flat roofs prefer to repair their roofs between spring and fall, when the weather is mild or hot, in some cases, roof repairs might be necessary during the cold season as well. Flat roof repairs are certainly possible in winter, too, but there are limitations imposed by the low or freezing temperatures and the other conditions commonly associated with winter, such as the presence of snow and ice.
As a general rule, most repair processes that require mechanical installation and the application of heat can be safely done in winter. The range of these processes include flashing repair, in case the material can be repaired or replaced using hot welding procedures as well as other repairs performed with heat.
Roof repairs performed with adhesives, such the replacement of rubber roofing components cannot be safely done when the temperature drops under a certain level (the level is different for each material, but in most cases, it is around freezing point). The reason why these repairs are not recommended in winter is that the adhesives applied among unsuitable temperature conditions tend to bond improperly or they don’t bond at all, leaving behind a weak roof that is increasingly prone to leaking and conducting to the loss of the manufacturer’s warranty. Find other roof repair solutions at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/.
Roof coatings are similar to paint, but thicker and they are used for extending the lifespan of low-slope roofs and for protecting these systems against the harmful effects of the elements. When applied on already existing commercial roofing systems, coating products have instant benefits – here are some:
- Versatile application – there are several types of coating products available for any commercial roofing, for BUR, bitumen and single-ply membrane roofs as well as for spray foam and metal roofs. The products intended for being used on a specific type of material are developed to address the challenges that the specific roofing system is faced with, thus providing customized protection;
- Protection from a wide range of weather effects – commercial roof coatings serve the purpose of increasing the roof’s resistance against high winds, excessive moisture and harsh UV radiations;
- Correction for minor issues – commercial roof coatings are either sprayed onto the roof surface or applied with the help of rolls and brushes. These products are not intended to replace adequate repairs, but after the application, they form a durable and elastic film on the roof surface that seals not only the smooth roof areas, but gets into the minor cracks and seams as well, making these more sensitive areas resistant as well. Contact a TPO roofing San Antonio contractor as soon as your roof is compromised in any way.
Ice dams are very common things in the regions where the winter is heavy – the icicles at the edge of the roof form when the warm air rises from the interior of the building and it meets the snow that has gathered on the roof. The warm air melts the snow that runs down on the side of the roof, then it cools down and freezes again by the time it reaches the edge of the roof, resulting in the long ice bars and ridges called ice dams.
Ice dams are very common, but they are still dangerous, so they need to be prevented. Here are some methods:
- Adding insulation under the roof – the best way to prevent ice build-ups is by preventing the contact between the warm air rising from inside the building and the snow that has gathered on the roof with the help of insulation. The process will decrease the amount of energy needed to heat your building and it will keep the roof cool, thus preventing the melting process;
- Adding roof ventilation – having proper, efficient roof vents is also great for reducing the temperature of the roof and efficient for preventing ice dams on the edge of your roof.
Deal with roofing issues immediately, call local company at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/.
Icicles, also known as ice dams, are ridges and bars of ice that form at the edge of roofs and can cause harm by dragging down the roof edge as well as by preventing the proper drainage of melted snow from the roof. While the problem is serious in the case of high-pitched roofs, it is even more serious in the case of low-sloping commercial roofs that are affected by poor drainage because of their shape.
One way to solve the problem temporarily is to climb up to the roof edge and to remove the icicles manually, but that method does not provide a permanent solution to the problem. The best repair is always prevention and in the case of icicles, prevention means the installation of proper insulation underneath the roof by flat roof repair Chicago experts. The reason why icicles appear is that the warm air from inside the building rises to the roof where, in lack of insulation, it melts the deepest layers of the snow on the roof. Even roofs that seem perfectly flat have a little slope, so the melted water will run down that slope and freeze again at the edge of the roof, where they become icicles. Suitable insulation added underneath the roof will form a thermal barrier that prevents the contact between warm air and snow, thus preventing the appearance of ice dams.
Commercial roofs are usually low-sloping constructions that need some help to be able to withstand heavy snowing and the accumulation of ice – here is how you should maintain your commercial roof in winter to keep the structure strong and healthy:
- Check your gutters before the first snowfall – clogged gutters are unable to direct water away from the roof and the building, so it is essential to check the pipes and to clean them before the snowing starts. Climb up to the gutters and remove any clogs and debris from inside the pipes, then inspect the gutters for any sagging, cracks and rust and remedy the problems that you find;
- Check the roof, too – follow the same procedure with the roof surface as well. Look for damaged and sagging components and pursue the corrective action necessary;
- Remove excess snow whenever necessary – experts warn that low-sloping roofs, even the ones in perfect condition, can be damaged by the weight of packed snow if the thickness of the layer of snow exceeds 1 foot. The snow blanket can be removed with the help of a roof rake maneuvered standing on the ground or you can call a roofer to do the cleaning for you whenever necessary. Find local commercial roof repair San Antonio to keep up your metal roof in excellent condition.
The popularity of metal roofs has been on the rise for many years and the reasons are also numerous. Here are some of the major benefits of installing a metal roof on your building:
- Metal is weather resistant – hardly any element gets to metal. The panels made from steel or from other alloys are able to resist excessive moisture, wind and fire, so they are suitable for any climate region, even for areas that get severe weather all the time;
- Energy-efficiency – most metal roofs are treated with a special kind of protective coating that reflects the sun’s rays and prevents the roof from absorbing solar heat. To make the roof energy-efficient in cold areas, though, you will need to add suitable insulation;
- Reduced long-term costs – metal roofs are quite affordable upfront and installation is also cheap because it does not require any special expertise or tools. The overall ownership costs of metal roofs are further reduced on the long run – metal roofs don’t need any special maintenance to perform well for decades and their resistance and durability guarantees that you will have a reliable, low-cost roof for the entire time that your metal roof spends on your building. For commercial roof coatings and repair, see http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/chicago-commercial-roofing/.
Roofs are strong and weak at the same time – they are made from strong, durable and resistant materials that can endure the harshest conditions, including wind, rain, snow and fire, yet they are also sensitive to all these elements and need all the protection they can get. One of the best ways to reinforce your roof is to apply the right type of coating. Here are the benefits of choosing the most suitable type of roof coating:
- Reflective coating – this type of light-colored coating protects your roof from the harmful effects of solar radiation and they prevent the roof from absorbing the heat of the sun, too. The coating keeps the temperature of the roof at low levels even when the heat is high, so it ultimately protects the entire building from heating up;
- Waterproofing coating – these coating products protect your roof against the penetration of water. The material seals the entire roof surface, not only the smooth surface of your roof, but the seams and the small crack as well, making the entire structure waterproof and preventing leaks.
Whatever coating you need to make your roof more resistant when severe weather of any kind hits, make sure to have Chicago commercial roofing contractors re-apply roof coating product at the regular intervals specified in the description of the product.
Applying a layer of suitable roof coating on your roof is a great way to protect it from the harmful effects of water in any form, including snow and ice. Here is how your roof coating will make your roof more resistant:
- Roof coating products are applied either from spray cans or through spreading with rolls or brushes. The coating will form an elastic and durable layer on the surface that covers the roof, like a strong film, preventing the direct contact between the roof surface and the water and also preventing any harm potentially caused by the direct contact between your roof and the water;
- Roof coating materials form a film that adheres strongly to the roof surface and not only in the smooth areas, but also in the areas where there are seams or small cracks. As a result, the coating will improve the roof’s strength and resistance against the penetration of the rainwater and of the melted snow underneath the roof. Though roof coating products are not intended as roof repair products, the process of sealing those seams and minor cracks or holes will improve your roof’s overall strength and will considerably diminish the risks of developing leaks. Find professional roof coating technicians at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/.