Roof coating products are varied in terms of the method of application, the color and the issues that they are suitable for, but they are all developed to provide long-term, durable protection to the roof they are applied on. However, even these resistant and durable layers can get worn or damaged by extreme conditions, such as harsh storms.
The coating that you apply on your roof serves the purpose of protecting the roof, so if the coating gets damaged, there are two ways to fix the problem: you can either replace the existing roof coating or repair it. Roof coatings being strong as they are, in most cases, the damage affects only small parts of the coated surface, so it is usually enough to reapply the product in the damaged area. There are some coating types, such as rolled-out materials installed by rubber roofing Chicago area roofers that are more difficult to correct and might require partial replacement, but the products thar are applied in ways similar to paint, such as the coatings that are applied with a brush, a roll or from a spray can are easy to correct. The process will restore the durability of the coating and ensures that the roofing continues to provide suitable protection for your roof.
Roofs can last for decades, depending on the materials they are made from and the climate conditions they are exposed to. If you are looking for ways to prolong the lifespan of your roof, you have many options, one of the most cost-efficient, easiest and most efficient methods being the application of a suitable roof coating by Ultimate Roof Coaters of San Antonio. Here is how the simple procedure can increase the longevity pf your roof:
- Leak prevention – most roofs start developing minor leaks after 5-10 years and the leaks start growing and becoming increasingly difficult to repair gradually. Roof coatings can seal the roof surface, preventing the roofing material’s direct exposure to water, thus preventing leaks, too. Waterproof coatings are applied in sensitive roofing areas, such as the seams and the valleys, therefore they are excellent, low-cost ways to reinforce those areas;
- Protection from solar radiation – even the strongest roof can suffer when it needs to withstand harsh UV radiation for too long. The coating products that have been developed for solar protection prevent that kind of damage by reflecting the sun’s rays. The right type of coating, applied correctly comes with the extra benefit of preventing the roof from overheating, thus decreasing the amount of heat that enters the interior spaces of the building through its topmost layer of defense.
Roof coatings are products designed to prevent specific roof problems, to protect the roof from harm and to prolong the lifespan of the structure. Coatings can be applied on most roof types, the roof types used on business premises and commercial building being especially suitable for being coated. Here are the most common coating types used on business buildings:
- Acrylic coatings – these water-based products come with excellent reflective properties and are suitable for reducing the temperature of the roof in very hot areas;
- Polyurethane coatings – these solvent-based coatings come in two types: aromatic products that are resistant to water, but not to UV radiation and aliphatic products that are resistant to the sun’s rays, too, so the two types are often used combined. Urethane coatings also offer high resistance to abrasion, therefore they are the preferred solution in hail-prone areas;
- Silicone coatings – these coats provide excellent performance in high solar radiation and they can endure the prolonged exposure to water, too, therefore they are suitable for sunny, arid areas as well as for wet climate zones.
These roof coating materials are easy to apply for flat roof repair Chicago businesses, they take very short to cure and they are also affordable, providing excellent roof protection solutions for any roof.
Roof coatings form strong and durable layers on roof surfaces, but to make sure that the protection lasts as long as it should, indeed, your coating will need attention and proper maintenance, too. Here is how to take care of your roof coating:
- Cleaning – to ensure that your roof coating stays strong, inspect and clean the coated surface regularly;
- Ensure proper drainage – most coatings serve the purpose of waterproofing the roof, but that does not mean that they can endure being exposed to water endlessly. The best way to avoid water ponding is through the regular inspection of your gutters and downspouts and the timely removal of any clog or debris that you find;
- Protect the coating – roof coatings are sensitive to foot traffic and chemical spills, so try to avoid walking on the roof as much as possible and prevent exposing the coating to liquids that contain petroleum, solvents, acids, fats and other chemicals. Roof coatings are also sensitive to abrasion and they must not be punctured, so make sure to avoid these types of mechanical damage as well;
- Be gentle with your roof coating – whenever you remove debris or snow, use only soft plastic tools to avoid scratching the coated surface.
Find out more http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/chicago-commercial-roofing/.
Roof coatings can protect your roof in various ways, shielding it from the sun’s rays and preventing leaks and they can do one more thing: they can protect your business. Here is how:
- Prolonging the life of your roof – the roof on your business facility is one of the most expensive components of your building envelopes and a premature replacement will surely be hard on your budget. Applying the right type of roof coating with services from Ultimate Roof Coaters in Chicago can efficiently preserve the condition of your roof, potentially prolonging the lifespan of the roof (provided that the coating is applied correctly and reapplied at the intervals recommended in the instructions);
- Reducing the risk of disruption – any leak and roof damage disrupts your business activities. Fortunately, roof coatings can reduce the risks of such disruption to the minimum;
- Improved energy efficiency – there are many roof coating products that protect roofs by preventing overheating and form a shield in front of solar radiation. As these coatings reduce the temperature of the roof even when the sun is scorching, they also reduce the amount of heat transferred from the roof into the interior spaces as well as the energy necessary for cooling the interior of the building.
Winter weather can be tough for roofs and sometimes problems may occur even if you take the necessary precautions (inspections, regular maintenance, small repairs performed promptly).
However, do not despair if you experience a problem in the middle of the cold season, because actions can be taken even in winter-specific weather and your metal roofing Chicago area can be repaired or restored by applying a coating. Besides, you may get discounts, considering that roofing contractors are not that busy during this time of the year and look for work.
So… yes, they do work in the winter. And yes, your roof can be repaired in the winter. Specialists have the necessary equipment to work safely even in freezing conditions and know exactly which materials should or should not be installed in these conditions. For example, some adhesives will not bond properly in cold temperatures, while some seals between overlapping asphalt shingles requires heat from the sun to bond, but there are other materials created especially for winter weather, so they will work just fine.
As about roof coatings, National Coatings has a very useful guide in applying them during wintertime. Use it for safe application and efficient results.
Finding a good roof coating Chicago contractor can be particularly difficult during the holidays, when most people have some free time from work to celebrate with their loved ones.
However, if something unexpected and unfortunate happens with your roof and there is no way to postpone the necessary repairs for a few days, you will have to do your best to identify a good local contractor.
There are roofing contractors all over the country, so it should not be a problem to find a few in yiur area, but put on your list only those that offer emergency service 24/7, because they will be the ones answering your call even on the Christmas day.
The next step is to ensure that the contractor you hire is reliable and not just a scam that takes advantage of people who are desperate enough to do anything for solving their problem with the roof.
Always remember that a good roofing company is licensed, insured and has a long presence on the local market. Even if you are in a big hurry to find a specialist, do not hire without verifying these basic aspects. And if you can also get some references, it would be even better.
The first thing you should consider, if you want to have peace of mind during the winter knowing that your roof is in good shape, is to perform periodic maintenance. You have to keep an eye on your roof and identify any vulnerability, otherwise it will eventually turn into an expensive problem. Taking action and performing the necessary repairs and roof coatings San Antonio services offer when it is time will save you from many problems in the future.
However, sometimes even with all the precautions, the roof may start to leak right in the holiday season. It is crucial to identify the reason of such a problem, as it may be caused by a roof damage, but also by clogged gutters or even a broken pipe.
If the roof is the culprit after all, do not panic. Repairs are possible even in December, because roofing specialists are properly equipped to deal with a frozen roof or snow accumulations and besides, there are roofing materials designed to be used in winter, so there is no need to worry that the repairs will not be effective.
Roofing contractors are not so busy in December, so it should not be a problem for you to find a reliable local contractor to fix your roof and restore your comfort. Some of them even offer emergency assistance 24/7, so you should be able to find some help even during the holidays.
Roof coatings are excellent solutions for renovating old roofs and delaying the moment when you will have to consider a replacement. They protect against wear, have high elasticity and resistance to different factors and can be easily installed. Roof coatings are tested products, guaranteed for 10-15 years.
Many people are interested if roof coating solutions really prevent roof leaks. Well, liquid coating products do, because they seal every puncture or crack in the roofing material, as well as areas around nails and other accessories that may become vulnerable in time. They turn into a seamless and monolithic membrane, very durable and flexible (able to expand and contract, withstanding temperature variations).
This type of roof coating is also vapor permeable – which means that it allows vapors within the building to escape, preventing excessive moisture and its unwanted effects.
When you consider installing a roof coating, and waterproofing the roof is your main purpose, you must carefully read the manufacturer`s specifications and talk to a rubber roofing Chicago specialist who can help you identify the best product for your needs. It is not good to assume that all coatings are waterproof; some types of products are mainly reflective, even if they may also be marketed as waterproof.
While most owners of flat roofs prefer to repair their roofs between spring and fall, when the weather is mild or hot, in some cases, roof repairs might be necessary during the cold season as well. Flat roof repairs are certainly possible in winter, too, but there are limitations imposed by the low or freezing temperatures and the other conditions commonly associated with winter, such as the presence of snow and ice.
As a general rule, most repair processes that require mechanical installation and the application of heat can be safely done in winter. The range of these processes include flashing repair, in case the material can be repaired or replaced using hot welding procedures as well as other repairs performed with heat.
Roof repairs performed with adhesives, such the replacement of rubber roofing components cannot be safely done when the temperature drops under a certain level (the level is different for each material, but in most cases, it is around freezing point). The reason why these repairs are not recommended in winter is that the adhesives applied among unsuitable temperature conditions tend to bond improperly or they don’t bond at all, leaving behind a weak roof that is increasingly prone to leaking and conducting to the loss of the manufacturer’s warranty. Find other roof repair solutions at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/.