Roof coating products provide great, easy to use solutions for a variety of roofing issues and they come in just as many colors- whether you need a coating to improve your roof’s weather-resistance or its thermal efficiency, you can choose from many different colors to match your coating to the overall design of your building.
Roof coatings come in many forms and consistencies – some are applied in ways similar to applying paint, with the help of brushes, others are rolled out or sprayed. Some coating products are transparent, the desired hue being achieved by adding pigments, while others come stained from the factory. Most coating manufacturers provide a range of basic colors, such as beige, red and green and offer to produce special colors upon request, while others provide a wide range of pigments for the user to add to a transparent base.
Whichever of the above solutions or types of products you choose, there are two aspects that you should bear in mind when you pick the color of the coating: the color scheme used on the building and the desired effects. You must be aware that lighter colors reflect heat, preventing the roof from absorbing heat, while darker colors absorb more heat, therefore darker roofs also transfer more heat towards the interior spaces in the building. Talking with experienced commercial roofing contractors San Antonio TX has that do roof coatings as their main business will help you understand what is best for your roof.
Applying a resistant and durable layer of protective coating on your commercial flat roof Chicago building is a quick and easy process, though the application itself needs to be preceded by roof preparation. Here is how to do it right:
- Inspect, clean and repair the roof – roof coating can be correctly applied only on a surface that is smooth and free from faults and contaminants, therefore the first step of the roof coating process must be a careful inspection to reveal any roofing problems, thorough roof cleaning and the repair of any issues detected during the inspection. If the cleaning is done with methods that leave the roof surface wet or moist, you need to wait until the roof is completely dry before you apply the coating;
- Apply the coating – roof coating products come with detailed application instructions that must be followed. Most coatings are applied with a brush, a roller or a spray can, in repeated layers until the right thickness is achieved. Each layer is applied only when the previous one is dry – the instructions will tell you exactly how long you should wait before the next layer can be applied. When the coating on the roof is on the right thickness, the process is complete, but the surface will be practicable only after the coating cures.
The maintenance of your commercial roof surface is a continuous process that should not be neglected in winter either. Here are some tips about how to maintain your coated roof throughout the cold season:
- Always pay attention to safety – before you do any kind of maintenance work on your roof, make sure that climbing up to the roof or, if necessary, stepping and walking on the roof can be done in safety. Check the strength of the surface as well as the existence of anchor points and make sure to wear the right kind of safety equipment;
- Remove excess snow – one of the worst enemies of any roof is the pressure caused by the weight of snow and ice. Take a look at the roof after each snowy period – if you notice that the layer of snow on the roof is too thick, grab a roof rake and remove it as soon as you can;
- Remove ice dams – ice dams are a sign of energy slippage that you will need to correct when the weather turns warm. In winter, however, the only thing that you can do about them is to remove them gently, paying attention not to damage the gutter or the roof edge that they are attached to.
The professional roofers at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/san-antonio-commercial-roofing/ can do seasonal roof inspections and cleanings to help you maintain a solid roofing system.
Roof coatings are special products that are applied on roof surfaces using methods similar to applying paint (coatings are brushed, rolled or sprayed onto the roof surface) and that serve the purpose of strengthening roofs in various ways. Some are intended to form a reflective layer on the surface of the roof to prevent overheating and the roof damage potentially caused by UV radiation, while others form an efficient water barrier on the roof surface that seals the roof, thus preventing the appearance of leaks and stopping small leaks. Consequently, the answer to the question in the title is yes, roof coatings can efficiently prevent roof leaks – here are the types to look for:
- Bituminous coatings – these coatings are made from asphalt or coal tar, both being efficient waterproofing agents;
- Polymer roof coatings – made from various synthetic resins, including silicones, acrylics and polyurethanes are also efficient for waterproofing purposes;
- Rubberized coatings – these products are practically bituminous coatings that also contain synthetic rubber for added durability, resistance and increased water protection.
Not all roof coatings are suitable for any substrate, so before you pick your roof waterproofing product, make sure that the product you intend to buy is compatible with your roof type and material, find out more Http://www.ultimateroofcoaters.com/.
Roof coating is a very effective method to restore a roof, improve its efficiency against water infiltrations and decrease your utility bill costs. White or light colored roof coatings are reflective, which means that they have a significant role in reducing the usage of air conditioners inside the building. A roof covered with a white coat will only absorb a minimal amount of heat into its structure and therefore you will not need to cool the indoor air temperature as much as you used to, prior to the installation of the coating.
However, remember that not all roof coating solutions are the same, so it is important to research on their reflective capabilities before making a purchase. Consulting a specialist is the best option.
An efficient coating will contribute to extending the lifespan of the roof, precisely because it reduces heat transfer indoors, decreases the contractions and expansions of the roof and mitigates water leaks. Besides all these, a coated roof looks very nice and neat.
The good news is that installing a reflective coating on your roof is affordable and suitable for almost any type of roof and roofing materials: metal, modified bitumen, single-ply etc. Call a professional roof coatings company at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/san-antonio-commercial-roofing/.
One of the most demanding (and realistic, actually!) assessments of a roof is related to its behavior in snowy conditions, because in this context all the problems that may occur during the cold season, from the weight of the deposited snow layer, to snow storms, low temperatures, ice formation etc. are taken into consideration. Also, these critical conditions reveal the vulnerable areas of the roof, which are prone to damage.
The most important factors to consider when assessing snow load on the roof are:
- The shape of the roof (the number of slopes and roof openings)
- Local weather conditions
- The thermal characteristics of the roof and the amount of heat generated under the roof
- The roughness of the roof surface, which influences the way snow slides down
The freshly fallen snow has a density ranging from 70 kg/ m3 to 150 kg/ m3, while “old” snow reaches from 200 kg/ m3 to 400 kg/ m3. There is also a phenomenon called “transparent snow”, whereby the snowflakes move indefinitely, under the action of air currents, entering any space, slot or joint it finds, causing considerable damage to improperly maintained roofs.
In any case, it is recommended to take preventive measures, to avoid situations of increased snow load on both the residential and commercial roof that may clog the drainage system or destroy the roof structure. For commercial roof inspections, look to http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/chicago-commercial-roofing/.
That exciting time of the year is close, and homeowners already plan different ways to make their houses look festive and beautiful. Hanging holiday lights is definitely a part of the process.
If doing this indoors doesn`t seem so complicated, things are not the same for people who own a house and a yard and plan to hang lots of outdoor holiday lights and decorations. Obviously it is not easy to deal with so many light installations, to store them properly each year, to detangle them, to test them and then to spend hours outdoors on a ladder hanging them, in the harsh winter weather. Statistics show that there are many accidents every year precisely among inexperienced homeowners who attempt to decorate their homes on their own and who end up in the hospital with a broken limb instead of enjoying their holiday diner. Not to mention that using all those holiday lights properly and creating a fairytale atmosphere is an art that not everyone is capable of.
In these circumstances, the best thing is to consider hiring a company such as Ultimate Roof Coaters to hang holiday lights. This way, you can get the most beautiful lighting designs that will impress your neighbors and your guests, plus you can enjoy your comfort without worrying for your safety.
In winter, when there are significant variations in temperature and massive drops of precipitation in solid form, a consistent layer of snow is sometimes deposited on the roof. Heat losses through the roof or frost-thaw cycles lead to the melting of the snow in contact with the roofing material, favoring its sliding towards the eaves and the apparition of ice dams and icicles. In most cases, gutters and downspouts get clogged, and large amounts of snow may fall down the roof, so the risk of personal injury and property damage is very high.
Nowadays, there is a wide range of products and specialized systems to avoid the problems specific to the cold season.
In addition to inspecting the roof, repairing and cleaning it before winter comes, it is good to also consider a de-icing solution, which will safely get you rid of the ice layer or snow accumulation. Such a system is easy to install for professional metal roofing Chicago experts and works fully automated, detecting the need to melt ice or snow according to the weather conditions and turning on or off the heat, as needed.
De-icing systems for the roof are heating systems with electrical cables, which keep the gutters and downspouts free of ice, avoiding the risk of water infiltration, accidents caused by falling icicles from the edge of the roof as well as the risk of material losses that owners may experience because of building deterioration in winter.
Ice dams are very common things in the regions where the winter is heavy – the icicles at the edge of the roof form when the warm air rises from the interior of the building and it meets the snow that has gathered on the roof. The warm air melts the snow that runs down on the side of the roof, then it cools down and freezes again by the time it reaches the edge of the roof, resulting in the long ice bars and ridges called ice dams.
Ice dams are very common, but they are still dangerous, so they need to be prevented. Here are some methods:
- Adding insulation under the roof – the best way to prevent ice build-ups is by preventing the contact between the warm air rising from inside the building and the snow that has gathered on the roof with the help of insulation. The process will decrease the amount of energy needed to heat your building and it will keep the roof cool, thus preventing the melting process;
- Adding roof ventilation – having proper, efficient roof vents is also great for reducing the temperature of the roof and efficient for preventing ice dams on the edge of your roof.
Deal with roofing issues immediately, call local company at http://ultimateroofcoaters.com/.
Icicles, also known as ice dams, are ridges and bars of ice that form at the edge of roofs and can cause harm by dragging down the roof edge as well as by preventing the proper drainage of melted snow from the roof. While the problem is serious in the case of high-pitched roofs, it is even more serious in the case of low-sloping commercial roofs that are affected by poor drainage because of their shape.
One way to solve the problem temporarily is to climb up to the roof edge and to remove the icicles manually, but that method does not provide a permanent solution to the problem. The best repair is always prevention and in the case of icicles, prevention means the installation of proper insulation underneath the roof by flat roof repair Chicago experts. The reason why icicles appear is that the warm air from inside the building rises to the roof where, in lack of insulation, it melts the deepest layers of the snow on the roof. Even roofs that seem perfectly flat have a little slope, so the melted water will run down that slope and freeze again at the edge of the roof, where they become icicles. Suitable insulation added underneath the roof will form a thermal barrier that prevents the contact between warm air and snow, thus preventing the appearance of ice dams.